View: 10356|Reply: 37

The Art of war - How to defend a city successfully [Copy this link to quote]

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 30-3-2010 00:13:32 |Show all posts
[i=s] Post Last Edit by [email protected] at 30-3-2010 15:19

[i=s] Post Last Edit by [email protected] at 30-3-2010 15:14

in this section i am going to partially explain the section six of the art of war which is relieving the state of zhao by sieging the state of wei and how to apply in TKO.

even though in TKO there isn't the political issue that affects state leaders decision like in portrayed during the explaination of how sun zi forced wei to retreat, there is still a lesson to be learned and that can be applied in this game even if not fully identical.

you may have read posts on this forum when people cry,complain,beg,whine on being attacked or plundered constantly...

what i am about to share with you guys is to irritate, waste time and resources of your opponents in the hopes of making him leave you alone.

1a. this may not be new to many veterans around here but one of the many tactics is to take the offensive to defend your city in the long run. for example lets call yourself the defenders DEF1 and the opponent ATK1.

ATK1 sends his huge army with rams,demolishers,infantry and cavalry to your city. according to what i understand, their speed averages out and in return this makes their speed a whole lot slower to reach and return to their city of origin.

what DEF1 can do is to fleetsave aka dodge his army by sending them away just intime to return after the attack and then send cavalry to rush his city or even his entire army to the enemies main city as it will be mainly unguarded. this is assuming that both valor camps are maxed out. the result will be plundering of resources and causing damage for your slacking or arrogant opponent.

1b.in another case, what most people do is send a clearing wave consisting of big armies and then sending of the demo waves 2,3,4,5 and so on after that. if the waves aren't far apart meaning more than 10 or some i hear even 5 secs, u can apparently dodge your army just intime for your army to return to finish off the demo waves with ease...crippling him/her for maybe 2-3 days worth of res just to rebuild the demolishers.

2a. to irritate the enemy you will need to understand what does he hope to achieve out of you. does he want resources? if he do you may negotiate for peace in return of one hour worth of resources as tribute everyday.

2b.if your enemy doesn't want resource then he is just probably a war mongerer who wants to destroy everyone near him then in this case, diplomacy might be the key.. assuming you got a league...borrow defend troops from them and waste your attackers troops in the hope that it is not worth his while because it would cost more for him and he is better off dealing with others first hence buying u time to build up.

2c.if you do not have a league to help you on this you will have to depend on your own strength by that i mean assuming you got sub cities, build up troops in those as well and harrass his sub cities as most sub cities are not very well defended. upgrade your city walls to the max and build all the defensive options available. put your archers in the towers and do not build anything other than high defense troops. if possible look at the trend in which what your opponents have the most...infantry or cavalry so that you can build the appropriate defense force to counter. during this period of war time it is crucial to build mass hidden warehouses so that you do not strengthen his forces by giving him resources.

2d.walls gives defensive bonus to you..so is your rank so remember to assign heroes positions that gives +def% and i believe that leadership gear boosts the effect as well. so far i only know of leadership chest piece and mounts that gives defensive bonuses. so do not forget that heroes stacking on gear can help alot too!

3. when placing your first few sub cities, it is important to place them 1 square away from each other to provide logistics support as well as militarily.. do not forget to also make sure that your main is able to get 3 oasis and as well 2 oasis for your subs each so that they will be able to provide resources to your main to make it a powerful force to be reckoned with. for those without caravan upgrades it takes only 4-5mins for my market to transport resources to each other in my 4 cities together hence i am able to defend it well as well as have the ability to attack without worrying much about leaving my base unguarded as i have army in all my subs as well to support my main.

4. if all eles fails...use the 36th section art of war..decamping being the best, running away as the best choice ..there is no shame in temporarily defeat only shame in giving up.. build your sub city far away in the corner edge of the map so that it is not worth it chasing after you as the time required to reach and return is too long.

to be continued...
Have 3 people ratedPoint Pack Reason
GeorgeBush + 6 Nice guide :)
[email protected] + 30
[email protected] + 1

Total score: Point + 37   View Rating Log

Server 1 - League China - Aquelsa

Guru

Mirage of Deceit

Point
UID
Post time 30-3-2010 02:08:48 |Show all posts
Post Last Edit by [email protected] at 30-3-2010 18:33

Hmmm, this is a useful guide.
I am on a long term hiatus. But I don't and never planned to quit TKO in the first place.  [as of September 15 2014]

s1, s21, s54 player

Use magic Report

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 30-3-2010 18:00:20 |Show all posts
bump up my post

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 30-3-2010 19:35:06 |Show all posts
While Hidden Warehouses may have some use early in the game, they are quite useless and take up needed granary space when troop counts get into the 10's & 100's of thousands

Use magic Report

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 30-3-2010 20:41:46 |Show all posts
every bit counts towards irritating your opponent who can't get nuts out of you. i for example been attacking this guy but didn't even get nuts for a week...he even had bronze shovel...i gave up on him.

Use magic Report

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 31-3-2010 01:56:39 |Show all posts
bump up my post

Use magic Report

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 31-3-2010 10:43:24 |Show all posts
bump up my post

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 22-4-2010 01:36:03 |Show all posts
I have been constantly attack but a player and I have no chance to fight back. All my city are almost been destoyed so I cover them with hidden warehouse and a monitor office.

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 22-4-2010 02:26:13 |Show all posts
This is a very useful guide. Thanks for sharing.

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 17-5-2010 07:05:18 |Show all posts
Very useful indeed for the intermediate players that are almost there but not quite.  It's better to not have to make the mistakes someone else has done too.   Thanks again for the information.

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 17-5-2010 07:45:49 |Show all posts
Reall great and well thought  out strategies Sir Aquelsa :-D
SojeTscaro,S1 and beyond...

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 19-5-2010 12:25:04 |Show all posts
if he decide to finish u off and using demos on u to dead all these will be useless..

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 8-8-2010 22:12:40 |Show all posts
how to bulid demolisher

Use magic Report

Point
UID

Captain

Post time 9-8-2010 00:02:27 |Show all posts
Post Last Edit by Jum0ng at 9-8-2010 15:03
how to bulid demolisher
[email protected] Post at 9-8-2010 13:12

To build a Demolisher you need:
Recruit requirement: Level  20Drill Ground and Level  20Ironworks

hope you can build...,,

u37 (Jumong) one and only server (Retired/Inactive)

Use magic Report

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 9-8-2010 00:16:34 |Show all posts
fleetsaving comes with a price. demolishers targetting your farmland grannary and mill. then your dead.

Use magic Report

High Wizard

TKO Addict

Point
UID

General Lieutenant General Wise Lord TKO Super Guru TKO Guru TKO Expert Checkmate Mod

Post time 9-8-2010 14:38:13 |Show all posts
I must say thats a quality bit of info for the smaller player

Nice post!
LordGabe / Gabefu
"Where is your main army?...."
"I have no main army with me... just an empty town and a lute..."

U13 (S3) - Singapore - Semi Retired
U19 (S45) - Triangle - Active
U31 - T.R.

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 9-9-2010 06:16:56 |Show all posts
nice...

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 8-11-2010 07:23:47 |Show all posts
I find that the game is lacking of possible defences against a constant attacker. There is no truce options or anything useful in the inventory to get away from the attacker. Most of the people if being hit two or three times a day will leave the game and let the server rot by itself. For example, if someone is constantly bombarded by 7k troops and he is defenceless, what is the chances that he will stay on the game? Poor game design, guys...sorry to say.

Use magic Report

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 8-11-2010 17:43:59 |Show all posts
I find that the game is lacking of possible defences against a constant attacker. There is no truce options or anything useful in the inventory to get away from the attacker. Most of the people if bei ...
[email protected] Post at 8-11-2010 22:23

You can always buy a bronze shovel to prevent the other player from stealing cash but even that that won't save you that much resource. Even the amout of troop the bunker can protect is ridiculous.

That the problem of most MMORTS, Tribal war and travian have the same problem, Lord of ultima have a item call the orb of peace that prevent any attack for a certain amount of time but you have to pay for it.

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 9-11-2010 20:21:35 |Show all posts
your advice gives me options i didn't know about before...guess i should read more...lol
as a small city i am plagued by a member of the second biggest league...following the advice here I have managed to continue building my army (after losing a lot). who knows...one day the worm may turn....
thanks for your advise!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Archiver|Koramgame

16-6-2021 13:45 GMT-7 , Processed in 0.011572 second(s), 11 queries .