- Read permission
Post Last Edit by 728426635@facebook at 9-7-2010 07:18 |
In my time playing TKO, which is short to some and long to others, I have found a great many things that I feel can be improved upon for the sake of more balanced gameplay.
1) There is some uncountable number of spelling and grammatical errors. There are even consitancy errors which causes some things that should be correct, to be incorrect or confusing. For example, there is a daily trivia question that is something like "which of this is incorrect about annexes/mansions:" and one of the answers is "can recruit politician". There is no politican unit, but selecting it is wrong because lobbyist was incorrectly input as politician.
2) The game guide could be much better. So little is explained in the building guides, and other displayed info boxes that I have come up with a massive number of gameplay questions that are not answered within the game or its rules. There should either be an in-game fully detailed guide that explains everything, or an in-game link that goes to some outside guidebook that explains everything. It should be able to say that upgrading a theatre doesnt do what you hoped it would do, and career centers allow a varying number of oases depending on if the city is the main or a sub, or what happens if i send a supporting hero to defend my leaguemate (will that hero apply his bonus to all defensive armies? just my army? or nobody's army?).
3) ER is a joke. It sounds nice, historical cities are pretty shiny. Let me explain how an ER server works: server starts, people grow. the majority of the server population quits within the first week (leaving behind 0 pops everywhere). people start trying to clear weak neighbors to make farms. so far, this is true for any server. Once this is done people start massing for counties, and the server becomes relatively peaceful for the upper leagues. Counties open, everyone scrambles. There may be fighting over counties initially between leagues. Then they mass for States. States open, repeat same as counties. After States are controlled and stabilized, the server starts its decline phase. All those smaller leagues will see that there is nothing they do against the top leagues with all their ER cities, and they will move on to one of the 4 new servers that started in this time, where it all gets repeated. (exception for the non-ER server that just started). The league with the most ER cities will slowly dominate. ER cities are so powerful that they quickly ramp the game from 3000 soldiers being a big army, to 20000 soldiers being a big army.
4) The map. The TKO map is HUGE. China is HUGE. The travel times are HUGE. If you want a dynamic server, that is to have action, you want to bring players closer together. People are territorial and groups of people are even more territorial, and if the world is smaller, they will fight more. No league can ever TRULY conquer TKO China, its just too big. Only an alliance of leagues and subleagues could accomplish this. Most people see how stupid gold is and quit anyways.
5) Gold. Ok, the game is free, its linked to social networking sites, and it has to make money somehow. Fine. Clearly gold does that. However, everything that costs gold, is limited in use. There is almost zero gold bought things that are permanent. Even epic heroes can die, and then you have to buy them back with more gold! (which is not stated in the game rules anywhere, surprise!) Further, everything is EXPENSIVE. There are people who spend thousands of $$ on just 1 server. I can't find the sense in it, but to each their own. I have seen someone have 4 cities, dozens of epic heroes, and demos in about 2 weeks after server start, just because of gold. The sheer effect of gold is enormously overpowered. While i dont expect Koram to restrict spending in any way, I dont see why its not more accessible to a larger target market group by lowering the gold cost of items. The cost on some items is so massively unrealistic, that only the wealthy can afford them. Keeping the $$ for gold pricing options, but lowering the gold cost of items significantly would increase spending among lower income players, while largely leaving the big big spenders unaffected as they would either just GET MORE out of their $$ and so still spend the same they used to so they can show everyone how awesome their bank account is by dominating the server, and/or just playing on more servers since now their money goes farther. It is in my opinion that having everything be accessible without gold, or removed from the game entirely, is the best option for gameplay balance, but i know that isnt going to happen. Yet because there is no upper limit on spending, whichever group spends the most can easily dominate the server if they can sustain their spending. Curiously, the more you spend the less you have to play as you can automate more things. auto-deploy, markets repeat deliveries, more slots in the building queue...
6) Interface. There could be some interface enhancements made to make life smoother. Why do i have to select each of my cities, then the faction map, then the hero, then the general to duel, then accept that choice. Why can i not just select the faction map, and that has all my heroes listed from all my cities?
7) Specific items. Ok... there are blue and purple gears, there are items to enhance the level of gear, skillbook slots that require unlocking. Skillbooks can add a great deal of customization and variety to the game even for normal heroes, but oh wait... whats this? I need 3 different kinds of Bolus to unlock them... each more expensive in gold than the one before it. All this does, is make Epic heroes more appealing to buy (maybe that was the plan) since they already have two skills built in, and superior stats, and most dont require the tedious task of gaining levels. Blue or Purple gear? u get 1 of each if u purchase enough gold (they both suck), other than that, never seen them and i think +9 green gear is better anyways. Enhanced Steel? yea its also overpriced with a low drop rate from anywhere else, bolus drop rates also. Basically, anything cool has an extremely low drop rate to encourage you to purchase the gold to buy it. Normal heroes are so outclassed by epic heroes its not even funny. SURE you can equip a normal hero with all +9 gear, panaceas, and beat down epics in the arena, but for that same amount of gold you can probably search for and buy 30 epic heroes. Which would you rather have?
8) Ranks. First off, if you dont spend gold, dont expect to get higher than Count rank anytime soon. You might get to Duke after a few months. If you have 6-10 heroes from the start of the server constantly farming faction duels, you can reach count fairly quickly. (this requires some gold for epics, or to get souls and use them constantly). Now, you have the option of purchasing court quest items from order arrows in the faction map, but it takes about 30 to get 100 court quest items, and as you know its 2000 of those for 1 turn in, and you need at least 6 turn ins to reach the next rank once you are a count. So, order arrows may as well not even exist, its a poor attempt to alleviate the time of a long process. The drop rate on the court quest items for Count and beyond are so low, that even at the point state capitals open, you will not have enough for 1 turn in of spice, horse, or fur even having 10 heroes constantly dueling. AND on top of that, you still get drops of the old materials, like silk, that you cant even use ever again. you cant gift them away either. Bringing about the next point, Generalissimo. Ok, first off, why is a spanish title in an ancient chinese era game? More importantly, 50% attack bonus!!!!!!!!! Who approved that ridiculous bonus!?!?! This is simply "win more." "Congratulations on spending so much money; you get a 50% attack bonus now, so you can slaughter those people who arent paying us for our free game, coz honestly they need to die so they can populate our new server next week so you spenders have a reason to repeat this process"
9) Wei. The ability to dual build is obscene. If you are spending lots of gold, you should be Wei to insure that you accelerate faster than everyone else who is not Wei. When there is no limit to gold, why would you not choose the kingdom that builds the fastest, and has the strongest troops? The resource cost (disadvantage of Wei) doesnt matter, since you will be buying them all with gold. I believe all kingdoms should be allowed to dual build. Wei can still retain the additional 1 building queue slot. I cant envision Koram removing gold, so the best way to solve this is to share the dual building ability. Wei's true power lies in its synergy with heavy gold users. I also hear cavalry archers are obnoxious.
10) TKO main webpage. Why is there a pop-up for the TKO game, ON THE TKO WEBSITE??? dumbest thing i've ever seen. and it pops up right over the facebook login, which means i have to close this dumb pop-up everytime i login.
11) As my final note, this is more of an observation/inquiry from me to Koram. I have to wonder, since the translation is so unpolished, did you just steal the game from whatever original company (if based in China i think they have no intellectual property rights) and just slapped it on some servers? or did you actually pay for the game, and then decide to keep it as a steaming incomplete pile of crap and throw it on some servers? both with the sole intention of milking players for money on multiple new servers that you have to put out because the life expectancy of a server (where gold is still being spent) is 2 or 3 months. I had included solutions to many of these things, but I was over the limit and I figured Koram wouldnt care about them anyways, or just "acquire" it and throw it on a server.