Search
View: 12021|Reply: 34

The Art of war - How to build a large army and support it. [Copy this link to quote]

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 29-3-2010 22:34:44 |Show all posts
[i=s] Post Last Edit by 538364762@facebook at 30-3-2010 13:37

ok this is my first time writing a guide and have been playing TKO since end of december 09 and myself being chinese and interested in the art of war hence finding myself playing TKO.

i am still learning something new everyday so please correct or guide me if i am wrong especially from my revered league leader Sunleung from league China in server 1 that is the dominating league.

so people may ask...how do people build large armies and support it?

first of all notice that as much as it may be important to build weaker units like swordsman or militia to help absorb the damage when you attack a heavily fortified city,the important rule of the thumb is not to over emphasis on building weak units like these.

since this topic is about maintaining army food supplies efficiency and not about resource management on which unit is the most "worth" recruiting, we shall ignore that in this topic and focus entirely on the point at hand.

in this case we are looking at both units base stats but unlike other theorists on how 4 swordsman could be worth it based on statistics and mathematics on attack and defense etc, i am going to give you real application usage on how they ARE better based on speed.

i believe that speed is key to winning battles. lets look at napoleon bonaparte he won key battles because he could coordinate smaller units as well as cavalry and use lightning speed as his key strength to rout his enemies rather than wait for them to regroup and merge into a big battle group.

speed is also widely associated with logistics issues such as food and supplies needed to upkeep a fighting army.

in the case of wei(since i am wei) for example look at the stats of swordman  6 speed 40 carryload and it cost 1 food to feed them every hour. this unit is obviously not as fast as cavalry and if in the case of food issues arising, even if you do want to suicide them, it will take sometime much less sending them to your 15f or somebody's county,state capital or luo yang.

next we shall look at the pride of wei... the qing cavalry whose stats are 70 carryload 10 speed and cost 4 food to feed them per hour. based on my personal experience, they eat alot of food, they are faster than swordsman, plunders and returns faster with enemies food.

note in this case i mentioned that swordsman as the weakest wei unit is still needed to help "tank" absorb damage on your expensive units so do not assume that i find them useless.. just don't need too many of them.

point number 2.assuming that you are reading this means that you have a large army hence have a decent city setup and knows most of the term and what i am talking about.

1. if your league owns a county,state capital or luoyang, you can put your cavalry in them if you don't need use them yet.. again assuming that you put emphasis on cavalry you would have upgraded their valor to high or even maxed for best efficiency.

2. in case of emergency or not being self reliant on food, plundering is always the way so speed again is key to reaching the target city and returning from it.

3. assuming again that even IF you have a 15f with 50% 50% setup on a 4446 capital.. it might not be near your recruitment centers and if you need to recall them for defense or an attack, it will take longer as compared to cavalry so... the key is to keep a decent amount of infantry due to better resource recruitment efficiency but make your cavalry the main bulk of your army.

4.one of the best methods that i noticed is making a 15f with 3 50% food oasis near it your capital aka mansion in it. but due to it being unable to come up with resources such as wood/iron/stone or even minimum on its own, this setup requires you to either do faction quests alot(due to the reward being transported to your capital) or plunder really fat farms regularly so here again...speed is the key for if you do not have fat farms and only got those 0 pop ones... you can't be having your infantry plunder for you and taking 2 hours or more!

5.one of my plans now is to totally demolish and destroy this 1.3k pop city near me but leave his food supplies and farm lands untouched so that i may be able to "HIDE" my army in there assuming that he quit and didn't realise that i am "supporting" him.
contrary to what most people do, they destroy farmlands,granaries and slowly demo him to death and force him to quit.. this is actually one of my upcoming strategy that i am trying to use. so use it at your own risk till i figured it out. this strategy lets you feed off him and hide your army.

this is all for now. i shall update when necessary.
Have 1 people ratedPoint Pack Reason
569311882@faceb + 1

Total score: Point + 1   View Rating Log

Server 1 - League China - Aquelsa

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 30-3-2010 18:01:10 |Show all posts
bump up my post

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 30-3-2010 19:46:06 |Show all posts
Quote: "3. assuming again that even IF you have a 15f with 50% 50% setup on a 4446 capital.. it might not be near your recruitment centers and if you need to recall them for defense or an attack, it will take longer as compared to cavalry so... the key is to keep a decent amount of infantry due to better resource recruitment efficiency but make your cavalry the main bulk of your army."

Infantry will end up being the bulk of an Offensive force simply because of production time. An Infantry/Cavalry combo along with an integrated Ram/demolisher setup is deadly.

Yes, Cavalry are great and have a bigger punch, but this is not a 'speed' game ... it is a numbers game - which translates to 'attack' power ... production of infantry will be far ahead of cavalry.

Later on, you will simply be up against the clock ... resources flowing into your hammer villages and thousands of troops queued up for days . Then Food is needed big time.

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 30-3-2010 19:53:55 |Show all posts
3# 100000361725555@facebook

QUICKSILVER BULLET

Use magic Report

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 30-3-2010 20:45:37 |Show all posts
Post Last Edit by 538364762@facebook at 31-3-2010 11:49
Quote: "3. assuming again that even IF you have a 15f with 50% 50% setup on a 4446 capital.. it might not be near your recruitment centers and if you need to recall them for defense or an attack, it w ...
100000361725555@facebook Post at 31-3-2010 10:46

well as this is partially true till a certain extent...but still cavalry force as the bulk of your army is probably better imo as i have always been a firm believer of speed.

i myself am at -9k food per hour now and i don't even bother sending infantry out to plunder..only my cavalry plunder units for maximum efficiency.

*edited* maybe we might have misunderstood each other.. yes i do agree that infantry will always take up the bulk of your army but still we got to agree that many people are neglecting the power of speed and what it can do to amaze people at times.

i for one have 5k guards 5k heavy inf 1k swords and like 5k combined qings and cav bows in my main..which is quite a sizeable cavalry force imo. best guy in my league got like 20k of those cavalry army...in his county or purple but it is scary enough.

Use magic Report

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 31-3-2010 01:54:52 |Show all posts
bump up my post.

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 31-3-2010 08:36:27 |Show all posts
Quote     "well as this is partially true till a certain extent...but still cavalry force as the bulk of your army is probably better imo as i have always been a firm believer of speed. '

This does not make sense.

If you have Barracks & Stable in your hammer village running 24/7, which they should be, then Infantry will far outnumber Cavalry ... to just stop making infantry because cavalry is faster is killing the potential of a great hammer.

Use magic Report

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 31-3-2010 10:42:49 |Show all posts
Quote     "well as this is partially true till a certain extent...but still cavalry force as the bulk of your army is probably better imo as i have always been a firm believer of speed. '

This does n ...
100000361725555@facebook Post at 31-3-2010 23:36

i have a sizeable infantry force but i would prefer not to use them in my plunders as the good farms may be some spaces away from me. i do agree that i would include them in my first clear waves of unknown or untouched cities but after that even if they do reinforce it...it will just be cav + siege machines or just cav.

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 31-3-2010 15:06:22 |Show all posts
Dead Man Walking  

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 1-4-2010 15:00:34 |Show all posts
both cav and inf has their own use. Cav has better speed, Inf has better stat/pop. Inf also has more attack/recruit time ratio than cav altough it's not much. Haven't really compare the cost, but I think inf would have better stat/resource cost than cav too (CMIIW).  
So imo it just depend on the usage, for nearby target, a large army of cav is good since the target won't have enough time to gather support from his league or maybe even from his sub cities.
For coordinated attack, the speed advantage of cavalries kinda nullified since you have to match your ETA with your league mate. And there's high chance that they will travel longer, maybe due to distance or could be due to lower level of valor upgrade. Only massing cav isn't really good idea in this case. Better to just mix it with cheaper and faster to mass infantries since speed doesnt matter in this case.
Another thing: "i have a sizeable infantry force but i would prefer not to use them in my plunders as the good farms may be some spaces away from me" ---> this is ineffective, if you can use all your army to plunder, why not? Why wasting them by letting them rot in your city and eating your food for free? Not a single units in my town is not used to plunder, I use all my inf to farm closer target (under 1.5 hours) and use cav to plunder further target (1.5 hour++). It is a lot of work yes, but the result also great, I can spam 5 cities to mass recruit in stable/scout camp/barrack (2 15c, 1 9c, and 2 county) non-stop. Even pikemen/lancer from the supporting sub cities I also use for plunder, enabling me to transport resources to 2 county capitals and non-stop recruit there as well.
simafuhan
GoldenElite & Indonesia
s5, s16

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 1-4-2010 18:03:16 |Show all posts
bro
im a wei my self
Q : how to build a cav for city out of main city,some tips pls
      and how to max the efficiency of a sub?(feeder and wave supporter)
       thx again bro
War doesn't decide who is right only who is left

Use magic Report

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 2-4-2010 08:58:30 |Show all posts
problem now im facing is that infantry takes too long to reach my fat farms and i would only be using them in attacking fresh or big targets that haven't submit to me yet. otherwise cavalry is really the way to go for someone like me that is online a whole lot compared to those who build and log off kinda player.

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 2-4-2010 09:22:15 |Show all posts
problem now im facing is that infantry takes too long to reach my fat farms and i would only be using them in attacking fresh or big targets that haven't submit to me yet. otherwise cavalry is really  ...
538364762@facebook Post at 2-4-2010 07:58 AM

Use cavalry for far targets & infantry for close.

If I had a bunch of messengers sitting around with infantry available & no cavalry, I'd be sending out the infantry asap - otherwise they just consume grain and no return - a waste.  ... and if you don't have messengers, make more

Use magic Report

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 2-4-2010 09:29:23 |Show all posts
problem is im always sending out plundering targets already lol. i can't be building anymore till i up my farm lands...its getting dangerous that i'm relying too much on plundering to maintain my army.

if my county was close by ... its still ok but its not so i have to like send most of them to my blue for food.

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 14-4-2010 15:10:50 |Show all posts
I like your suggestion about using other city to supply you with food. I have a few unanswered doubts though.

i) If the grain output in the city you supported is lower than the food needed to feed your army there, will the army stationed there run away? I think I saw something like 'If your grain output is negative and your warehouse has no food in it your soldier will flee.' written somewhere. Is this claim true?
ii) Will the amount of food needed to feed your army increase when they are out to attack people? Let say, the food needed to feed my qing cavalry is 4 per hour. Will it increase to 5 per hour when I'm using it to attack people?

(Sorry for my bad English)

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 14-4-2010 21:43:37 |Show all posts
1) The soldiers will die ... supporting troops  1st, then the owner of the villages troops - that would be unfortunate to have your supporting troops die ... it is beat to send wheat with your troops to feed them and hope everyone else does too ... and the owner

2)  No, it does not increase

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 15-4-2010 16:14:28 |Show all posts
1# 538364762@facebook

Where is this 15f city exactly?? I've been looking around my map for hours but cannot find any, pls help.

Use magic Report

Point
UID

First Lieutenant

Post time 15-4-2010 20:26:59 |Show all posts
15f = those purple guarded spaces ... look at the city's resource fields it should show 15 farm lands.. we call them 15f for short.

most of my league mates uses them as main but too bad for me, i already built most of my fields above 15.. so i'll keep my 4446.

best to find a 15f with 2 x 50% food oasis if possible for your sub.. and 125% food minimum if its your main.

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 21-4-2010 22:20:00 |Show all posts
Decent, but could definitely use some improvement

Use magic Report

Point
UID
Post time 29-4-2010 04:47:45 |Show all posts
15 f is a waste you will suffer from farming 24/7 and your face will become old.. you will be the top one but your face will be  a top uglyface this is a key for winning just enjoy the play and if your on a losing side change server  thats all! after al,l there a lot of server that will be create.. i hope this help

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Archiver|Koramgame

16-7-2018 22:16 GMT-7 , Processed in 0.019493 second(s), 11 queries .